– Conference Call Today at 11:00 A.M. EST –
BioClinica®, Inc. (NASDAQ: BIOC), a leading global provider of clinical trial management solutions, today announced its financial results for the third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2012.
Financial highlights for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 include:
- Service revenues increased 15.7% to a record $19.2 million as compared with $16.6 million for the same period 2011.
- GAAP operating income was $1.1 million including a restructuring charge of $839,000 as compared with $479,000 including a restructuring charge of $1.0 million for the same period 2011.
- GAAP net income was $542,000, or $0.03 per fully diluted share, as compared with $358,000, or $0.02 per fully diluted share in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP operating income increased 26.1% to $2.6 million as compared with $2.0 million for the same period 2011.
- Non-GAAP net income increased 10.3% to $1.5 million compared with $1.4 million; this equated to $0.09 per fully diluted share, as compared with $0.08 per fully diluted share in the same period 2011.
Financial highlights for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 include:
- Service revenues increased 14.5% to $56.8 million as compared with $49.7 million for the same period 2011.
- GAAP operating income was $4.4 million including a restructuring charge of $839,000 as compared with $2.5 million including a restructuring charge of $1.7 million for the same period 2011.
- GAAP net income was $2.6 million, or $0.16 per fully diluted share as compared with $1.6 million, or $0.10 per fully diluted share for the same period 2011.
- Non-GAAP operating income increased 19.1% to $7.0 million as compared with $5.9 million for the same period 2011.
- Non-GAAP net income increased 12.7% to $4.3 million compared with $3.8 million; this equated to $0.26 per fully diluted share, as compared with $0.23 per fully diluted share in the same period 2011.
Mark L. Weinstein, President and Chief Executive Officer of BioClinica said, "We are extremely pleased with our third quarter operating results, which included strong growth in service revenue and non-GAAP operating income and margin resulting from increased demand for both our eClinical and medical imaging offerings."
"We are excited to have had several significant contract wins this quarter, attracting some of the largest and most discerning global pharmaceutical companies to our roster of clients. Sanofi's selection of BioClinica's OnPoint as its enterprise CTMS for all of its global clinical trials underscores the strength, scalability and integrity of our technology, the importance of our relationship with Microsoft, and the clear advantages of SharePoint. Additionally, Sanofi has selected us as a preferred provider of medical imaging solutions." He continued, "Other agreements such as those with Isis Pharmaceuticals and Luitpold Pharmaceuticals for BioClinica's Express EDC also reflect the growing acceptance and recognition of our transformational technology and superior service across the industry. We were also pleased to have recently announced TauRx's selection of both our Trident IWR/IVR and medical imaging solutions for its upcoming Phase III clinical trial, further establishing our position as a leading global player. Sanofi and TauRx are representative of many of our clients, from small to major global pharmaceutical and biotech companies, that are selecting us for both our eClinical and medical imaging products and services."
Mr. Weinstein continued, "In order to further strengthen our medical imaging solutions offering, we realigned our global operational structure along therapeutic lines during the third quarter. These changes were implemented and completed during the quarter, and resulted in a restructuring charge, primarily comprised of severance and related costs, of $839,000, or $0.03 per diluted share, all of which was incurred in the quarter. As a result of this restructuring, we expect to realize $1.0 million of annualized operating savings, commencing immediately."
"Our current backlog of $114.1 million compares favorably with last quarter's $110.2 million. Our backlog and strong proposal pipeline position us well for future growth. We are reiterating our full-year 2012 service revenue to be in the range of $73 to $77 million, and our full-year non-GAAP EPS to be in the range of $0.36 to $0.42 per fully diluted share. As a result of the $0.03 per share restructuring charge, we are revising our full-year GAAP EPS to be in the range of $0.23 to $0.29 per fully diluted share as compared to previous GAAP EPS guidance of $0.26 to $0.32 per diluted share," concluded Mr. Weinstein.
Conference Call Information
Management of BioClinica, Inc. will host a conference call today at 11:00 a.m. EST. Those who wish to participate in the conference call may telephone 877-869-3847 from the U.S.; international callers may telephone 201-689-8261, approximately 15 minutes before the call. There will be a simultaneous webcast on www.bioclinica.com. A digital replay will be available by telephone approximately two hours after the call's completion for two weeks, and may be accessed by dialing 877-660-6853 from the U.S. or 201-612-7415 for international callers, Conference ID #401423. The replay will also be on the website under the "Investors" section at www.bioclinica.com for two weeks.
Non-GAAP Financial Information
BioClinica is providing information on 2012 and 2011 non-GAAP income from operations, non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share that exclude certain items, as well as the related income tax effects, because of the nature of these items and the impact they have on the analysis of underlying business performance and trends. The non-GAAP information excludes, certain of which are recurring in nature, the impact of stock-based compensation, amortization of intangible assets related to acquisitions, restructuring charges and merger and acquisition costs. We believe the non-GAAP information provides supplemental information useful to investors in comparing our results of operations on a consistent basis from period to period. Management uses these non-GAAP measures in assessing our core operating performance and evaluating our ongoing business operations. These measures are not in accordance with, or an alternative for, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies. Therefore, the information may not necessarily be comparable to that of other companies and should be considered as a supplement to, not a substitute for, or superior to, the corresponding measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliations of these non-GAAP financial measures to the comparable GAAP results, which are included below in this press release.
– FINANCIAL TABLES TO FOLLOW –